What is Laser?
A laser is a device that emits light through a process of optical amplification based on the stimulated emission of electromagnetic radiation. The term “LASER” originated as an acronym for “Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation”. A laser differs from other sources of light in that it emits light coherently. Spatial coherence allows a laser to be focused to a tight spot, enabling applications such as laser cutting and lithography. Spatial coherence also allows a laser beam to stay narrow over great distances (collimation), enabling applications such as laser pointers. Lasers can also have high temporal coherence, which allows them to emit light with a very narrow spectrum.
In the past several years, laser hair removal has become one of the most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedures in the United States. This procedure, which involves a laser pulsing through the skin to be absorbed by the melanin, or pigment, in the hair follicles, can be performed on virtually any area of the body, from chin to chest to toes.
With advancement in laser technology, the procedure works on people with all skin colors and hair types (though it tends to have the best results on people with lighter skin and darker hair). Plus, the procedure is relatively permanent; it destroys about 80 percent of all the hairs in the treated area and the hair that may grow back is usually finer in texture and lighter in color.
How does laser hair removal work?
During the procedure, your CLS presses a hand-held laser instrument to your skin. Depending on the type of laser, a cooling device on the tip or a cool gel is used to protect the skin.
When the CLS activates the laser, the laser light passes through your skin’s surface to tiny sacs (hair follicles) where hair growth originates. The intense heat damages the hair follicle, which inhibits hair growth. It takes several treatments to provide an extended hair-free period.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
- Treatments are quick: Laser hair removal treatments are quicker than you might expect.
- You will save money in the long run: With the permanent reduction of hair, you no longer need to purchase endless razors, shaving cream, depilatory creams, and you will no longer need to have monthly waxing appointments.
- You can eliminate and prevent ingrown hairs: Laser hair removal is simply the best option and the only solution to prevent and eliminate ingrown hairs. It is also a great option for those who have sensitive skin and experience skin irritation from shaving and waxing.
- You will save time: Laser hair removal eliminates the need to shave daily. Add that up over a lifetime and just think how many weeks you spend with a razor in hand!
- No need to grow hair between treatments: Unlike waxing, you can shave between treatments. Say goodbye to the days of having to grow your hair out; with laser hair removal, you can shave as much as you like between sessions.
- Avoid tanning of the body areas where you want to get the hair removal done. Tanning should be avoided 4 to 6 six weeks prior to the treatment. Try avoiding self-tanning creams and sprays as well.
- Avoid plucking, bleaching or waxing 3 weeks prior to the treatment. Preserving the root and the pigment of the hair is important for the success of the laser treatment.
- Make sure to shave the area where you want the hair removal done a day or night before the treatment to prevent thermal injury to the surface of the skin.
- Avoid consuming any kind of antibiotics or any kind of strong medication.
- Make sure that you are feeling well when you start laser treatment. Because if you are sick, the hormonal balance in the body gets disturbed, which is not good for laser therapy.
- Before initiating the procedure, make sure to do a test on a small part of your body. This will help you determine whether laser hair removal is suitable for your skin or not.
- Do not opt for laser hair removal if you are suffering from any skin disease or disorder.
- Wear protective eye gear to prevent any damage to the retina caused by the radiation coming from the laser.
Get a FREE 40min Massage
If you are not sure where to start, come and chat with one of our representatives this month of November and get a free massage, on us!